Monday, July 4, 2011

M-I-C-K-E-Y MOUSE!!!

This past week, Grey, my mom and I went to the National Spina Bifida Conference in Anaheim, CA. It. was. amazing. The best part about the whole trip was having the opportunity to meet some of the SB families that I have come to know so well over the past 3 years. Seeing them face to face and feeling like I already knew them was really something that I will never forget.

One of the first nights there, we had a little get together to meet with everyone, I could have stayed there all night. Unfortunately Grey couldn't. :) The time change was a bit much for him. But he was a real trooper.

I was really terrible with taking pictures, but here is one with just a few of the moms that I was able to meet.



We had 3 days jammed packed with classes like "Management of the Neurogenic Bladder" and "Insights into Maximizing Bowel Function and Achieving Continence" and "Nonverbal Learning Disabilities: How to Remediate Executive Function Weaknesses that Inhibit Self-Help and Adaptive Skill Development" so you can only imagine how our minds were mush by the end of each day. It was so nice to be there with people who really, truly "get it." To those families that I was able to meet while I was there...Thank you so much for all of the love and support, my life is better because of all of you.

The conference was held at the Disneyland Hotel, and we couldn't go there and NOT go to Disneyland! From the minute we arrived, Grey was OBSESSED with "Micky Mouse's house" seriously, obsessed! He LOVED every second of Disneyland. Every ride, every tram, every elevator, EVERYTHING!! Here are a few picture of him during a ride, I'm not sure which one. I know it looks like he is terrified, but it is a good terrified. :)





We also couldn't go to Disneyland without meeting Orie (Eey Ore) and Mickey. He was intrigued by both and WANTED to meet them, but the second we got close to them he kinda freaked out.:)





We were lucky enough to get to go to Disneyland with our good friends David, Joanna, and Jet Penny one day. Grey and Jet weren't too sure of each other the last time they met (last summer) but they seemed to warm up to each other a bit during this trip.



It doesn't really look like it, but they really are BFFs!! :)

Here are just a few more Disneyland pics...




It really was such an amazing trip. Going out of our room each day we saw many, MANY other people (adults, kids) in wheelchairs and it was so nice. We are home now, and Grey is back to being the only kid around in a wheelchair...which is OK! but boy was it nice to just "fit into the crowd" for a few days. :)

Here is our friend Katie, she is going into 2nd grade and her attitude is amazing. She loves sports, reading, and LOVES LIFE. I, love her. :)

We really had such a great time, and I'm already looking forward to seeing everyone again next year...and so is Grey!! :)

8 comments:

John said...

Grey's face on the ride is hilarious!! It was really nice to see a pic of Grey and Jet together :-) We've followed both your blogs since forever! Hope we get Abby over to one of these conferences someday - looks like fun. All the best, J&T

Joanna said...

Yay! I'm loving all our SB conference posts. :) I'll get around to mine one of these days...until then I'm enjoying my friends' blogs! Loved spending everyday with you. Can't wait to see you again...end of February right? ;)

JourneyWithTheCrosiers said...

Love this post and everyone's posts about the conference! You got some great pics at Disneyland too! Makes me so sad it didn't happen for us this year...but next year in Indiana for sure! Super excited already!!!!

Jamie said...

Oh my goodness, his face made me giggle!! Looks like an AMAZING time!

ainemc said...

Those faces he pulls are priceless! Looks like you all had so much fun, wish I could have went...maybe one year :)

Meinhardt Family said...

Looks and sounds like an amazing trip! I love Grey's expressions in those pictures. He is such a handsome boy! I got to make it to one of these conferences! Maybe next year...

krousehouse said...

LOVE Grey's face in those pics - such a cute good scared!

Jill said...

I love all of those pictures!! Especially the ones of him terrified of Mickey and Eeyore, those really made me LOL! I'm so jealous of all of you getting to spend time together and learn so much. One of these days, we'll be there! Might have to get a passport though. ;)